Reading progress update: I've read 190 out of 214 pages.

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

Sometimes I think books know what you need and when you need it...

"I think that one of these days", he said, "you´are going to have to find out where you want to go. And then you´ve got to start going there. But immediately. You can´t afford to lose a minute. Not you."

"And I hate to tell you", he said, "but I think that once you have a fair idea where you want to go, your first move will be to apply yourself in school. you´ll have to. You´re a student-whether the idea appeals to you or not. You´re in love with knowledge. And I think you´ll find once you get past all the Mr. Vineses and their Oral Comp-"

"Mr. Vinsons," I said.

"All right-the Mr. Vinsons. Once you get past all the Mr. Vinsons, you´re going to start getting closer and closer-that is, if you want to, and if you look for it and wait for it-to the kind of information that will be very, very dear to your heart. Among other things, you´ll find that you´re not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You´re by no means alone on the score, you´ll be exited and stimulated to know. Many,many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You´ll learn from them -if you want to. Just as somebody, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It´s a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn´t education. It´s history. It´s poetry."

"I´m not triying to tell you", he said, "that only educated and scholarly men are able to contribute someting valuable to the world. It´s not so. But I do say that educated and scholarly men, if they´re brilliant and creative to being with-which, unfortunately, is rarely the case-tend to leave infinitely more valuable records behind them than men do who are merely brilliant and creative. They tend to express themselves more clearly, and they usually have a passion for following their thoughts through to the end. And-most important-nine times out of ten they have more humility than the unscholarly thinker. Do you follow me at all?"

"Yes, sir."

"Something else an academic education will do for you. If you go along with it any consierable distance, it´ll begin to give you an idea what size mind you have. What it´ll fit and, maybe, what it won´t. After a while, you´ll have an idea what kind of thoughts your particular size mind should be wearing. For one thing, it may save you an extraordinary amount of time trying on ideas that don´t suit you, aren´t becoming to you.You´ll begin to know your true measurements and dress your mind accordingly."

Then, all of a sudden, I yawned. What a rude bastard, but I couldn´t help it!"